San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre, the county’s only nonprofit professional theatre, has announced its upcoming 2023-24 lineup. The 77th season includes 14 shows, with a diverse group of five mainstage productions as headliners:
- Stones in His Pockets (August 11-27) showcases two actors playing 15 different roles in a comedic yet tragic take on the effects of the Hollywood dream in a small Irish town.
- Nunsense (September 15-October 15) features the “Little Sisters of Hoboken” in a zany musical revue.
- What the Constitution Means to Me (March 29-April 14, 2024) is a hopeful and achingly human one-woman play tracing the profound relationships between four generations of women and the founding document that shaped their lives.
- The Thanksgiving Play (May 3-19, 2024) by Larissa FastHorse is a wickedly clever satire about a troupe of well-meaning but misguided teaching artists who scramble to create a school pageant that somehow celebrates both turkey day and Native American Heritage Month.
- 9 to 5, The Musical (June 7-30, 2024), with music by Dolly Parton, is the hilarious story of friendship and revenge in the Rolodex-era workplace.
Academy of Creative Theatre family shows will feature young actors in summer and winter productions:
- Honk Jr! (July 14-23) is a delightful adaptation of the beloved fable.
- Suite Surrender (January 12-21, 2024) pays homage to the classic farces of the 1930s and 1940s.
Two special productions include one that will celebrate the holidays and another that will celebrate the female voices of a decade:
- A Christmas Story (November 17-December 23) brings Ralphie and his Christmas wish for a Red Ryder bb gun for a return engagement on the SLO REP stage.
- Beehive: The ’60s Musical (Feb. 9 – Mar. 10, 2024) is a gala featuring such hits as “My Boyfriend’s Back,” “Be My Baby,” “Son of a Preacher Man” and “Me and Bobby McGee.”
“Ubu’s Other Shoe” staged readings run throughout the season and include:
- Keely and Du (September 1-2) by Jane Martin
- Heroes of the Fourth Turning (October 20-21) by Will Arbery
- The Revolutionists (January 26-27, 2024) by Lauren Gunderson
- Constellations (March 15-16, 2024) by Nick Payne
- A World Premiere To Be Announced (April 19-20, 2024)
Exclusive full-season subscriptions cost $200 and will be available for purchase beginning June 9.
Individual show tickets and custom season passes will be available for purchase beginning July 6.