SLO REP’s Academy of Creative Theatre (ACT) is now accepting registrations for summer 2023 camps.
All ACT classes take place in a lively, nurturing, fun environment and are taught by professional teaching artists who are passionate and skilled at working with young performers.
From June to August, ACT offers multiple sessions of five different camps. All ages from five to 18, and all experience levels, are welcome. Each camp is offered in age-grouped sessions.
- Acting Out!, for the curious actor, explores a variety of theatre skills including improvisation, movement, character exploration, and acting basics. Students also rehearse a short, non-musical play, which they’ll share with family and friends at the end of the week.
- Broadway Camp explores musical theatre, and along with theatre and improv games, students sing, dance, and act as they work together to bring to life numbers from a popular musical. Classes end with a celebratory sharing for family and friends.
- Improv Camp, for the comedy-curious student, focuses on fun, physical, and inspiring improvisational games and exercises designed to help the young actor react truthfully onstage. Classes end with a celebratory sharing for family and friends.
- Musical Theatre Performance Camp provides students with some musical theatre class or performing experience a three-week session of putting up a musical, including in-class “auditions,” choreography, music, rehearsals, and performance. All registered students receive a role in the 30-minute end-of-camp show on the SLO REP stage for invited guests.
- Tech and Backstage Exploration Camp explores the various technical operations that go on behind the scenes of a production. Students in the camp have the opportunity to create scenic, costume, prop, and lighting design, and act as the backstage and tech crew for an end-of-camp performance.
Generous scholarships are available thanks to a grant from the Community Foundation of San Luis Obispo County and Central Coast Funds for Children so that every child with a desire to learn can participate.
Registration, scholarship applications, and more information is available on SLO REP’s website.